LEMOYNE, PA – The Harrisburg Regional Chamber & CREDC (Chamber & CREDC) recently announced that Kessler’s Incorporated closed on a $65,400 Enterprise Zone Loan through the Capital Region Economic Development Corporation (CREDC). Kessler’s was originally founded in 1916 as the Genther Bologna Company by George Anthony Kessler in Easton, PA. In 1929 the company made its way to the current location on Hummel Avenue in Lemoyne, Cumberland County, PA. The company has remained under family ownership and management for nearly 100 years and is recognized as one of the top 200 meat processors in the United States.
The loan proceeds were used to make plant and equipment upgrades required for the company’s quest for SQF (Safe Quality Food) Certification. SQF Certification is a component of a GFSI Certification (Global Food Safety Initiative). The improvements consist of roof repairs, lighting upgrades, floor replacement, parking lot improvements and the purchase of a new condenser tower and other equipment. All proceeds are being applied to project costs incurring at the company’s current facility in Lemoyne, PA. The CREDC loan leveraged another $155,015 from equity and bank financing provided by Members 1st Federal Credit Union. The total financing package exceeded $220,000 and supported both real estate improvements and other fixed asset purchases.